To populations doomed to decimation.

Infested bodies suffered desiccation
    As kings and vassals, fueled by desperation,
    Abandoned hearth and home to desolation,
    Succumbing to despair and dissipation.

A death within a church brought desecration;
    A boil on the skin met deprecation;
    Red crosses were a plague-house designation;
    And victim’s graves bore little decoration.

All history is marked by deviation.
    Of this, the plague provides a demonstration.

Just for fun. A sonnet with all ending words beginning with the letter “D” and ending in “tion.” This way it can be both a Shakespearean and Italian Sonnet (and Miltonian and Spencerian) at the same time (although, I suppose, the closing couplet makes it more or less Shakespearean.) Anyway, it was a fun experiment. Any thoughts or comments?

• #30853 Reply
    Mark Stone
    0 Posts

James, Hi.

1. The meter in line 2 works if you pronounce “reference” with three syllables. But I pronounce it with two syllables. You could change this line to something like:

The cause of Europe’s wholesale denigration.

2. In line 3, “deadly” and “death” are redundant. So I would replace “deadly” with a different adjective for “plagues.”

3. In line 12, I would change “victim’s” to “victims’ “.

Mark

• #30865 Reply
    James A. Tweedie
    0 Posts

Thank you, Mark. I am always amazed by how thoughtful and detailed your critiques are. My response:

1. “The meter in line 2 works” because the word reference has three syllables.
    2. I used redundant words because I was playing with the letter “d” but you are correct in pointing this out. There are plenty of adjectives to choose from–“sweeping” comes to mind–so I will follow your advice and make a change.
    3. I always trip over possessives but in this case I believe the apostrophe is correct although placed in the wrong position. Since both “victims” and “graves” are plural it should be ” victims’ ”

I have included this poem in a collection I have just self-published with Dunecrest Press (my own imprint). The collection is called “Mostly Sonnets–Formal Poetry for an Informal World.” It is available on Amazon. I shall include these changes the next time I update the text.

Once again, thanks.

Reply To: "D" is for . . .

Your information: