Who is that smiling cherub whose huge wings,
Open, extended, like a swan in flight,
Lifts him above the angels to a height
From which he conducts, for the King of Kings,
Great open-air orchestral happenings
And plays concerti to his soul’s delight,
Nudging the brass to broadcast all their might,
Goading divertimenti from massed strings.

Mozart is playing cadenzas for God
On a heavenly harp. He plucks with some
Zest, some irredeemable human love,
At melodies that never merely plod.
Rousing the souls of saints, he has become
The kapellmeister to the choir above.

Conor Kelly was born in Dublin and spent his adult life teaching in a school in the Dublin suburbs. He now lives in a rural area of West Clare in Ireland from where he manages his twitter site, @poemtoday, dedicated to the short poem. He has had poems printed in Irish, British, American and Mexican magazines. He was shortlisted for a Hennessy New Irish Writers award.

Views expressed by individual poets and writers on this website and by commenters do not represent the views of the entire Society. The comments section on regular posts is meant to be a place for civil and fruitful discussion. Pseudonyms are discouraged. The individual poet or writer featured in a post has the ability to remove any or all comments by emailing submissions@ classicalpoets.org with the details and under the subject title “Remove Comment.”

Conor, thank you for your Petrarchan panegyric poem to Mozart, a genius whose legacy continues to touch the world in ways that thrill, inspire and uplift. In your poem I especially enjoyed the image, “playing cadenzas for God,” which captures the joy and pleasure that God takes in his good creation! The use of the word “kapellmeister” was also fitting. Although the insufferable poetic pairing of the words “love” and “above” makes me squirm you provide a context that salvages them…barely.

2. Leo Zoutewelle

Conor, I stand in silent awe before the effort of writing your poem about Mozart! A certain composer is smiling at you with love from above.
    Leo

• Joe Tessitore

O’er rocky peak, he flies above,
      The fat and juicy turtle dove.
      How very much this boy would love
      to shoot his ass for dinner.

They say that Mozart had a remarkable sense of humor.

And so do you, Joe. As it happens, I am likely one of the very few respondents here who has actually shot a dove in flight and eaten it. I will tell you this: there’s not much there, just a few scraps of delicious meat, from the breast, mostly, not the ass.

3. Alan

A Petrarchan sonnet and an acrostic, in one poem, is surely a challenge to write. And how convenient that his name fits the octave and sestet perfectly! How did you get the idea for this?

Dear Conor Kelly —
    This morning we sang happy birthday to my father’s friend, Glen B. Coykendall, who many years ago wrote me a letter saying that he had always known I would become famous. Of course I didn’t, but it seemed he deserved a heavenly birthday greeting. After all, there is still time !

I see you love Mozart, as I do. Thanks for a lovely poem, and the beautiful image that accompanies it.

This is an absolutely fantastic piece of poetic craft. The last line is especially powerful.

As much as I might despise and eschew in my own practice acrostic poems, I must say that your effort was so well done that I feel you have redeemed the form and restored it to respectability. I never thought I’d say that.

Conor, an acrostic poem may often appear forced in order to accommodate the letters commencing each line. I had no such impression when reading your outstanding tribute to Mozart.

8. Mark F. Stone

Conor, Hi. This is a very well crafted poem. I have just one question: should there be a question mark at the end of line 8? Mark