I met the Sun this Maytime morning,
it stunned the outside wall.
Across the day I watched it yawning,
make dangling shadows crawl.

No curtain clouds closed down its shining.
Its single brilliance beamed.
All day I caught the hot sun ironing
the mayhems I had dreamed.

It pressed their wailings down to nothing,
made apprehension clear.
It ate away, with sunset mothing,
my now redundant fear.

Though dread in darkness had begun,
We don’t have shadows without sun.

Damian Robin is a writer and editor living in the United Kingdom.

1. Tonia Kalouria

Good reminder in these
    troubled times! Love the end couplet.

2. paul buchheit

Well-constructed sonnet, Damian. I enjoyed the ing-ing rhyming patterns.

3. Paul Freeman

‘sunset mothing’ – inspired!

Thanks for a pretty amazing piece of poetry.

4. Margaret Coats

A spirited May song, Damian, with the cheer we miss when this little lyric subgenre, so vibrantly characteristic of English literature, gets lost. Thanks for mayking an excellent example!

5. Cynthia Erlandson

Lovely! This strikes me as quite reminiscent of Emily Dickinson, with its tetrameter-trimeter pattern; the somewhat mysterious imagery (“ironing the mayhems” — a great phrase!); and the interesting slant rhymes like morning/yawning; shining/ironing; nothing/mothing.

Damian, this mellifluous marvel of a poem, with its sunny wonder and timely reminder in the message of the closing couplet, really does lift the spirits. The sun you describe reminds me of the fierce beams we have here in Texas, and, having lived here for ten years, I am every grateful for its presence all year round. Whenever I’m a bit low, I swathe myself in backyard sunshine and I’m soon feeling much better.

Wonderful stuff! Thank you!

7. James Sale

Well done Damian, I like the clipped and compressed quality of this poem; it’s also lyrical, so the combination is powerful.