What Geese May Teach

My mother had the power that knowledge wields,
So questions such as—Would you like to go?
Were never invitations, but commands
To fly away, cross yellow fields and low,
Like summer insects, stuck upon windshields.
A raggle-taggle group we were, and so
Like sandflies could not change what time demands.

Beneath a half-known psychic undertow,
My mother screeched her well-worn, wearing wheels
As we pulled up to watch the wild geese soar
In ordered honking triangles. Much more,
We’d missed such ordered symmetry before.

The Desk and the Dove

The morning sun rose; it was May
When cirrus clouds clung to the roof
And Mama rang. I wondered why—
Most times she was reserved, aloof.
What do you want, this natal day?
She must have planned some secret spoof,
As flickering wings flew whistling by,
Around her memories of youth.

Dear desk, you glowed from an array
Of dusty walnut, yet forsooth!
A dove within my mother’s eye
Looked out at me; I knew the truth.

Upon my yellow desk, a dove
Had settled, and its name was love.

Trumping The Inevitable

Once in my younger days I got so hammered
I wrecked my cousin’s wedding at her house.
The guest stood on her royal rug like ramrods.
Snickered, and stared. I should have been a mouse.

Much earlier she mentioned a dead friend
Who, rising from a bridge game after lunch,
Announced I’m dying! and This is the end!
Then fell dead on the purple floor. A hunch?
I marveled at this lady’s sense of timing—
She trumped, then rose to Jesus in the sky,
While I, who could mix colors, do some rhyming,
Had zero social skills, and wondered why.

I was the hapless guest who filled the sink
With vomit (validation of my presence),
Then crept away from all the sounds and stink
You never could forgive. The local peasants
Saw shocking stains spread on your tasteful floor,
Indelible; which meant that I was cursed
To never own old thumbprint glass, or four
Puce velvet chairs, a fenced-in garden—worse,

No tongue that knew to tell my indiscretions
To Jesus, who could smooth and make things straight,
And no assurance, gentle intercessions,
No cards with which to trump your scornful state.

A former Wilbur Fellow and six-time Pushcart nominee, Sally Cook is a regular contributor to National Review, and has appeared in venues as varied as Chronicles, Lighten Up On Line, and TRINACRIA. Also a painter, her present works in the style known as Magic Realism are represented in national collections such as the N.S.D.A.R. Museum in Washington, D.C. and The Burchfield-Penney, Buffalo, NY.

NOTE TO READERS: If you enjoyed this poem or other content, please consider making a donation to the Society of Classical Poets.

The Society of Classical Poets does not endorse any views expressed in individual poems or comments.

CODEC Stories:

1. Michael Pietrack

The unity of geese help them fly far. How far would they go if the left veered left and right veered right? Perhaps they’d fall. They’d sit and fight. And get nowhere at all.

Thank you Sally for all your contributions—from your fan, Michael.

2. Russel Winick

Thanks for these Sally. I especially enjoyed your lovely The Desk and the Dove. You have been blessed.

Many of Sally Cook’s best poems are about her family life, and her childhood experiences. Her deep connection with her parents and other relatives provides the basis for many of her finest pieces.

In “Trumping the Inevitable,” note that Cook begins (in the first two sections) with straightforward narrative, but the rest of the poem is a direct address to her offended cousin. And this change happens seamlessly, without any jarring shift.

• Sally Cook

Joe, I can’t help it — I just love it when you tell me (and others) what I’ve just done.

Someetimes – not always – I don’t know I’ve done it. And when I do, it is such a pleasuew to have it recognized by such as you.

Thank you so much.

Michael, there was almost something sacred about the wild geese to my moither. She had a deep and direcdt connection with nature, perhaps because she pretty much ran wild with Indian children while her father, a shop kieeper, fulfilled his dream of building a hotel in a forest. Later he sent her East to be civilized, but not all of it took. She couldn’t lie, or eat deer meat. Not a bad start in life !

• Sally Cook

Michael, you certainly will, if you continue to read what I post here and wherever they will have me! Won’t take up room others can use here, but any poem by me titled “Mama” this or that will be yet another facet of this woman’s remarkable life.
        It is one thing to love one’s mother, as most people do; quite another to respect a person who in one lifetime sewed an entire wardrobe, did clerical work, painted beautifully, raised chickens, loved poetry, boarded dogs, gave piano lessons, sold eggs, churned butter, cooked in a restaurant, and when I won a scholarship, went to work in a sewing factory to help out. She died of a horrible disease at the age of 69, an unstoppable woman only God could command to cease.

Russel I believe I have blessed — thank you for noticing. I can’t think why, but there you are – blessings seem to fall at random, I would guess !

6. Julian D. Woodruff

All 3 very fine.
    Joseph is right about “Trumping”: death is inevitably messy, and you added to that mess (if I assume correctly that you were present on both occasions), yet your cousin’s scorn made the worst of the moment (and beyond). But you have memorialized it beautifully.

• Sally Cook

Julian, some are doomed to always be on the wrong side, and never become collectors of antique butter dishes, creamers and sets of goblets. No matter how hard they try, their spirits keep flying off to the left when they should be lfet, and so forth.

I am one of those. I wonder how many others there are at SCP?

7. Anna J. Arredondo

Sally,

I particularly liked the lines in your first poem, “So questions such as—Would you like to go?
    Were never invitations, but commands.” Not sure quite why, only that it makes a vivid impression in my mind, with just a few words.

Anna, don’t you think there are people in our lives who start out with a plan, and assume dignity and direction in our lives? Natural teachers.
    It was so with my mother.

Nothing was simple — every occasion was designed to teach you. What a woman !

9. Roy Eugene Peterson

Geese flying in formation foretold winter approaching when I was a child living in South Dakota. The time of year also brought the hunters for geese, ducks and pheasants from urban areas meaning it was a time not to wander into fields. You captured my feelings for my own desk in the second poem. I understand the feelings in the third poem, but fortunately I never came close to those misguided steps.

10. C.B Anderson

Reading these poems was like peeling back mystery after mystery to find a clear vivid picture beneath each layer. What I mean is that you say so much without always having to spell things out. Your Mama taught you well, and, if you dare to believe it, I learn something from and about you every time I read anything of yours.

Dear Sally, your glorious words make me want to applaud all the fine traits, foibles, and faults of human nature… you always manage to depict them so vividly, so honestly, and so beautifully that I can feel the presence of those you have breathed life into with your poetry… especially your magnificent mother! Superb!

12. Alena Casey

These lines: “My mother had the power that knowledge wields, / So questions such as—Would you like to go? / Were never invitations, but commands” put me strongly in mind of something I one read, which my husband and I still talk about regularly. It was someone musing online about the difference between “Ask” culture and “Guess” culture. Those from a family culture of asking speak directly, ask for what they want, and accept either yes or no. Those from a family culture of guessing operate according to unspoken rules of politeness, including indirect speech such as what you describe. One typically doesn’t ask for things that would be rude to ask for, and when a request is made one typically doesn’t deny it (although this may come with a sense of being improperly imposed upon!). So a simple request such as “May I borrow this book?” or “May I have some of your snack?” can make completely different impressions on people from different “cultures!”